The hidden gems you find at work
We often feel trapped into turning up to work every day. Fenced in by the need to take home a paycheck. We just do what we can get to get through the day – to get back to our “real lives”.
But when we live in this automatic way we forget the hidden gems that line our working day that can make our lives so much richer. The hidden gems that are the people, the friendships we develop and the kindred spirits we encounter in unexpected corners. Sometimes we find these friendships in our own organisations, sometimes they are people we do business with in one form or another. They can be anywhere.
For many people friendships at work are expedient. Important to grease the wheels, to get by. But friendships at work can be so much more than that. They can truly enrich our lives, and more than make up for other inadequacies of our working lives. Getting to know people who we wouldn’t or couldn’t otherwise meet is one of the true blessings of getting up and going to work every day.
In the last 5 years or so, workplace friendships have become increasingly important to me. I hadn’t realised how much value I would gain from becoming friends with such a diverse range of people from different professional backgrounds. These are friendships that would never have come to be if it weren’t for work. These special people have softened painful moments as well as brought laughter and sunshine into my working day. And I dare to say some have become and some will become lasting out of work friendships too.
So here are just a few of the ways my work friend gems have brought light and beauty into my world:
- A genuine smile from the eyes with the morning hello
- Calling, texting, emailing me to check in with me if I happen to be at home sick
- Influencing our choice to own chickens – and coming over to hug them
- Arranging regular lunchtime get-togethers in parks and other secret spots around the Sydney CBD
- Donating serious chunks of extra-work time to help with serious issues – and with a smile no less
- Trusting me with important thoughts and moments in your own lives
- Helping create a feeling of togetherness and connection
- Sharing useful information and contacts…beyond the call of duty
There’s many more…and I honour and give thanks for them all.
So even if you don’t love your work and feel trapped, be on the the lookout for your own work friend gems. They will enrich your life immeasurably.
And to my own work friend gems – thank you for being there, thank you for enriching my life and thank you just for being you.